cemetery jogging

Hampstead Cemetery is a beautiful old cemetery five minutes from where we live in West Hampstead. It is a lovely small place full of mostly old crumpling graves. It is a great place to go for a jog and I try to go whenever I can. 

Cemetery jogging is great! Peaceful setting, wide paths, very little foot traffic around (only some dog walkers) Only difference with running in a cemetery is I try not to spit (Saliva tends to build up when I jog), as I don't want to ever be mistaken for spitting on a grave or anything. 


This plot stood out as it is near the entrance and is totally surrounded by roses. On the gravestone marked "In loving memory of my dear wife..." and underneath it is a lovely poem. One Sunday afternoon while jogging, I saw a well-dressed old man at the gravesite with a bunch of flowers. He cleaned around the grave, and with a watering can, slowly tended to the roses. I could only conclude that this man must be the husband of the lady buried here; she died in 1998 - 13 years ago, and yet after so many years he still lovingly tended to her grave and the roses surrounding it.

 It is quite romantic really!


No comments:

Post a Comment